New CDC policy on polio vaccine??

GUSTAVO PALACIOS ustavopa at interserver.com.ar
Wed Jan 10 15:24:12 EST 1996

----------
De:     	K. Weber[SMTP:kweber at efn.org]
Enviado: 	Mi=E9rcoles 10 de Enero de 1996 01:24
Para:   	virology at net.bio.net
Asunto:     	Re: New CDC policy on polio vaccine??

On 4 Jan 1996, Wrenf wrote:

> Hi, I am new to this newsgroup and am hoping someone out there can =
answer
> my question.  I saw on some TV show ( one of those pseudo news/ gossip
> shows) that the CDC has a new policy which will be in effect in about =
> year for  polio immunizations.  The supposedly new policy is for the =
first
> 2 immunizations to be the dead virus which is injected and the live
> attenuated oral for the last 2 doses.  This is to prevent any cases of
> polio transmission to the infant from the live oral vaccine.  I know =
there
> are some cases each year of polio from the live vaccine (supposedly =
the
> vaccine is  the source of any new cases reported now)  and they are =
hoping
> to reduce the risk with the new policy. =20
>=20
> I tried to call the CDC but due to the govt shutdown there was no one =
> answer or confirm any of this.  Are there any CDC folks out there =
familiar
> with this?  Has anyone else heard of this?  We are due for our 2nd =
dose on
> Monday and I've decided to just get the dead vaccine for my peace of =
mind
> but I am still curious. Any info would be appreciated. =20
> Thanks, Judith, Pharm. D.
>=20
>=20

	They may not be saying so, but there was a cluster of nurses, 20=20
I think, in a Canadian hospital who developed CFIDS from contaiminated=20
vaccine.  I remember seeing a show that the risk of clinical polio is=20
about one per one million vaccinations, but this was 10 years ago.  I=20
suspect they are more worried about CFIDS.  I have the address of one of =

the nurses somewhere, and will forward yours to her unless you let me=20
know otherwise.  I energy is very low, and so sometimes I have to take=20
short breaks.  I think it's good you took the dead vaccine.  If there is =

any other advice, she will probably know.

			kw

I am a young researcher here in Argentina and we have had a few problems =
with the Polio vacunation. We have some problems too because we have =
some cases of Meningitis Enterovirales that can't be serotyped but that =
are positive by generic PCR (Test that is positive for the Enterovirus =
Group). Do you know any work about Genotyping of the Enterovirus Group ? =
Some Web page about this problem or about ENTEROVIRUS ?=20
					Thanks
					Gustavo Palacios