interesting newsgroup!

hua lu hlu at micriobio.umass.edu
Mon Jan 8 12:20:40 EST 1996

Dear friend:
   You are right that UV light can inactivate virus or damage any DNA
exposed to it. The key point is the ability of its penetration is very
weak.(I do not remember how weak it is). I do not think it can penetrate
throuogh our deep skin and muscle or bone to affect the blood cells and anything
in the blood. One example is UV is usually used for surface sterilization
in lab and hospital. UV is not X-ray.

Hua lu
Department of Microbiology
Umass at Amherst, Massachusetts