OVERLOOKED VACCINE APPROACH?

Cohl+Santoni ncrf at ix.netcom.com
Sun Jan 7 17:07:53 EST 1996

A vaccine can be made from a person's own cells. Such vaccines have been the object of much cancer
research. Has there been any research into using such vaccines to fight HIV? I have not been able
to find any references.

One such approach would be to remove a sample of immune cells from a patient. Expose them to HIV
or proteins thereof. Then reintroduce them to the patient, sensitizing the immune system to the
virus. This approach seems simple. Why is it not being investigated?

I suppose the cost of doing this on a large scale might be prohibitive. But if the idea could
work, why not investigate it now, and work to bring the cost down later?

It is possible that I am overlooking something basic. If so, please enlighten me.

Comments are eagerly awaited.

R. Santoni
ncrf at ix.netcom.com