New CDC policy on polio vaccine??

Wrenf wrenf at aol.com
Thu Jan 4 11:07:10 EST 1996

Hi, I am new to this newsgroup and am hoping someone out there can answer
my question.  I saw on some TV show ( one of those pseudo news/ gossip
shows) that the CDC has a new policy which will be in effect in about a
year for  polio immunizations.  The supposedly new policy is for the first
2 immunizations to be the dead virus which is injected and the live
attenuated oral for the last 2 doses.  This is to prevent any cases of
polio transmission to the infant from the live oral vaccine.  I know there
are some cases each year of polio from the live vaccine (supposedly the
vaccine is  the source of any new cases reported now)  and they are hoping
to reduce the risk with the new policy.

I tried to call the CDC but due to the govt shutdown there was no one to
answer or confirm any of this.  Are there any CDC folks out there familiar
with this?  Has anyone else heard of this?  We are due for our 2nd dose on
Monday and I've decided to just get the dead vaccine for my peace of mind
but I am still curious. Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks, Judith, Pharm. D.