HSV and pregnancy

Janice LaRock jlarock at mitre.org
Mon Feb 12 09:52:20 EST 1996

I'm currently about 12 1/2 weeks pregnant, and have just gotten an
outbreak (not primary) of HSV (supraorbital).  I'm using zovirax cream to
control it, because I really don't want to take the oral on the chance
that it could hurt the baby.  So far, the infection is being moderately
controlled, although the oral acyclovir would be more effective.  But it
occurred to me yesterday that I don't know if the virus itself could hurt
the baby.

Does the virus get into my bloodstream, and cross the placenta?  There is
some lymph involvement (in front of my ear, and in my neck on the
affected side); could the kid catch HSV in utero?

Thanks for the info.