Alien viruses

Martin Hewlett marty_hewlett at TIKAL.BIOSCI.ARIZONA.EDU
Tue Oct 31 14:16:42 EST 1995

Although I have enjoyed the fanciful responses in this thread, there was
actually a proposal of this sort at one time.  The English cosmologist
and novelist Hoyle once proposed that the periodic antigenic shift
exhibited by influenza virus could be explained if the new strains were
transfered to earth as our planet passed through a comet tail.  My
comment:  long on astronomical observation but quite short on basic
virology!

      Martin Hewlett, Ph.D.
      Department of Molecular and
          Cellular Biology