ebola vaccine?

Walter Ogston ogston at HOBBES.KZOO.EDU
Tue Oct 31 17:14:44 EST 1995

nyneve at u.washington.edu ('Gavia immer' Deborah Wisti-Peterson) asks:

> recently, i have been told that there has been an ebola vaccine
> developed that is being tested in africa. the person that relayed
> this information to me said this had been mentioned on a radio
> newsbrief. does anyone know if this is true of if it is just
> another one of those rumors?

On TV this weekend they were showing a picture of a vial labeled "horse
IgG" and promoting a news segment supposedly on the cure for Ebola.  I
didn't catch the program itself, but I would guess someone has raised a
horse Ebola antiserum and is shooting this into infected people.  I
guess it might work - this is basically what they do if you are exposed
to rabies.  And rabies is more lethal than Ebola, btw.

Walter Ogston				ogston at hobbes.kzoo.edu
Department of Biology			Phone: (616)337-7010
Kalamazoo College			Fax:   (616)337-7251
Kalamazoo, MI 49006-3295