Discovery of Ebola virus? - Very complete answer

David Ornstein davido at apocalypse.org
Sun Oct 29 01:11:27 EST 1995

[Sorry for the delay on this posting: my ISP was sick-David]

macjack at ids.net wrote:

>Hello biology oriented people!

>I am in desperate need of some info on the discovery of the infamous
>Ebola virus. Lots of stuff around on it now, but I haven't been able
>to find much on where or when it was actually discovered.

>If anyone could point me to some good info, especially some avaliable
>on the net, I would appreciate it infintely much!

You can probably find answers to almost all of your Ebola questions at
Outbreak, my new site on emerging diseases (currently in Beta test).

The URL is
http://ichiban.objarts.com/outbreak-unreg/index.html

The Ebola FAQ (recently reviewed by Karl Johnson) is at:
http://ichiban.objarts.com/cgi-outbreak-reg/dynaserve.exe/ebola/faq.html,
but you must register first, so start at the other URL...

Here's the answer to your question, though:

Ebola viruses from Zaire and Sudan were first isolated in 1976 at CDC,
Porton Down in the UK, and at the Institute for Tropical Diseases in
Antwerp, Belgium. Immunological differentiation of these isolates from
Marburg virus was immediately done in the Laboratory of Dr. Karl
Johnson at CDC. Recognition that Zaire and Sudan strains were
different came several years later in a collaborative effort led by
Dr. Joseph McCormick at CDC. Thus, by rare coincidence, distinct new
viruses made their appearance on the same continent at virtually the
same time. The Ebola Reston strain was identified in 1989 in the
laboratory of Dr. Peter Jahrling at USAMRIID, Frederick, MD. Most
recently the Ebola Tai strain isolated by Dr. Bernard Le Guenno and
colleagues at Institute Pasteur, Paris was identified in 1995.

Regards,
David

David Ornstein
BrowserCaps: http://objarts.com/cgi-shl/webmac.exe/browsercaps/index.html