Alien Viruses

Liebenaffe liebenaffe at aol.com
Fri Oct 27 11:33:36 EST 1995

I would also like to point out that viruses are not "alive" and therefore
can not die or "survive" travel in space.  I understand these concepts are
applied to these entities because any other consideration is difficult.

In addition, viruses *never* metabolize on their own.  The sometimes
direct the cells to metabolize for them, but they are incapable of doing
it themselves.

Lastly, why do you assume that if life evolved on other plants that it
would use an DNA and RNA coding system, identical to our own, as their
genetic material?  Given the infinitely small possibilities that the
particular plant of viral origin evolved in an identical manner to ours, I
would say that this is very unlikely.

Sincerley,

L. Polk
Larry D. Polk
Graduate Research Assistant
Molecular & Cellular Biology Training Program
Department of Genetics
College of Medicine
University of Illinoist at Chicago

E-mail:  Liebenaffe at AOL.COM   /   lpolk1 at UIC.EDU