Alien Viruses

Vasconcelos Costa 385 jcosta at pen.gulbenkian.pt
Fri Oct 27 04:33:04 EST 1995

> Rafael Maldonado <rafael at howard.genetics.utah.edu> writes:
>
> >On 26 Oct 1995, Kardo6 wrote:
>

> >>   I have heard that viruses can live for thousands of years without dying
> >> because when not attacking living cells, they do not metabolize. If this
> >> is true is it concievable that viruses could survive the vacuum and vast
> >> distances of space and travel between planets, could some of the viruses
> >> of earth in fact be aliens.
> >>

> >Sure. The family rocketviridiae is belived to belong to the Alpha Centauri
> >solar system. The capside looks like a spacial rocket form some old
> >Flash Gordon comic. They have a propulsion system wich alows them to
> >cross million or year-light of distance. Moreover, the genetic material
> >of those viruses is some kind of silica-mercury compound, very common in
> >Alpha Centauri ecosystems.
>
> Only partly right. Although the family is called rocketviridiae, from their
> rocket-like shape when viewed under an eletron microscope , they do not use
> rockets to travel between solar systems. They are pushed between the stars
> by the pressure of sunlight, sort of like tiny solar sails.

Still another distinctive characteristic: virus suspensions have a green
color. This can be easily explained from the fact that these viruses acquire
an envelope by budding from infected cells. As everybody knows, aliens are
green, and this is due to a green pigmentation of their cell membranes.

Joao V. Costa

I  GGG   CCC    Dr. JOAO V. COSTA                     e-mail:
I G     C       Laboratorio de Virologia II              jcosta at gulbenkian.pt
I G  GG C       Instituto Gulbenkian de Ciencia       phone: +351 (1) 4435750
I G   G C       Apartado 14, R. Quinta Grande, 6      fax:   +351 (1) 4435625
I  GGG   CCC    P-2781 OEIRAS Codex, PORTUGAL