HIV-1 attenuation and working in cat three conditions

Patricia Novelli p.novelli at lhmc.ac.uk
Thu Oct 26 11:42:19 EST 1995

A list of questions:

1) Is there an official document in UK that lists all the necessary
precautions a researcher must undergo before, during and after
working in Cat 3 conditions?

what does one have to do before entering a cat 3 lab? undergo counselling?
give a serum sample? have a medical? read certain articles/books?

how much experience of cat 2 work is necessary before performing cat 3
work?

how much time is usually spent supervising a new cat 3 scientist
before allowing him/her to work alone totally unsupervised?

what are the top golden approved univeral rules of cat 3 work?

Any help would be appreciated. I just want to make sure that I am getting
all the necessary training and advice before I handle the real thing!!

2) Does anyone know of different selection pressures exerted on HIV-1
according to which cell / cell line is being used? Can passaging HIV
in culture generate attenuation or other mutations? Which cell lines
would be used for this? Anyone doing/ done this work?

Many thanks...Patricia