emerging diseases

Elizabeth Winter ewinter at laplaza.taos.nm.us
Wed Oct 25 21:25:26 EST 1995

As a New Mexico resident, I have paid a bit of attention to the
respiratory hantavirus that erupted here a few years back.  As I recall,
the rodent population explosion followed an especially wet winter, and
consequent high production of pine nuts (deer mouse food).  Unless you're
prepared to argue that weather was a consequence of human-generated
climate change, you may want to abandon that portion of your argument.
Disturbance increases human exposure, particularly amongst agricultural
workers.

Well, think it over.

E.