Westerns on uninfected H9 cells

Jonas.Blomberg at alinks.se Jonas.Blomberg at alinks.se
Tue Oct 24 17:50:05 EST 1995

We ran such Westerns routinely together with HIV protein
containing ones for about 5 years. We found some anticellular
reactions in the early HIV blots which could be sorted out with
H9 cells. Later, the HIV blots became much better, i.e. both more
sensitive and more specific. The comparison with H9 strips ceased
to be meaningful. We still have some in the freezer for a
problematic false positive serum, but we did use them for 3 years
now. The main H9 band in the early blots was around 55 Kd, with
sera from patients with glomerulonephritis. We never identified
it. Nowadays we do not see it in the HIV blots.

Jonas

*************< Jonas.Blomberg at alinks.se >************
 Jonas Blomberg, M.D., Ph.D.
 Dept. Medical Microbiology (division Virology)
 University of Lund
 Solvegatan 23
 S-223 62 Lund, Sweden

 Voice: +46-46-173275 (office) +46-40-412653 (home)
 Fax:   +46-46-189117 (office) +46-40-411165 (home)