Virus vs. Bacteria

Martin Cann mjcann at med.cornell.edu
Fri Oct 20 16:21:15 EST 1995

In article <462ob1$3e9 at ipgate.le.ac.uk>, "A.J.Cann" <nna at le.ac.uk> wrote:

> http://www-micro.msb.le.ac.uk/109/Introduction.html
>
> Dr Alan J. Cann  PhD,   Department of Microbiology & Immunology,
> University of Leicester,  P.O. Box 138,  Medical Sciences Building,
> University Road, Leicester LE1 9HN,  UK.
> Email: nna at le.ac.uk     http://www-micro.msb.le.ac.uk/AJC/nna.html

Well, we have the same surname, have both graduated from Jeff Almonds lab,
and have now responded to the same thread.  How much longer can these
bizarre coincidences continue?

I suppose I should stay on thread now to say that as a general rule,
bacteria are independant free living organisms while all viruses must
replicate within the mileu of a host cell, be it bacterial, animal, or
plant.  There are a whole host of other differences ranging from the
nature of the organisms protective 'barrier' which separates the organisms
contents from the external environment, through varying degrees of
complexity, and the presence of organelles.  I think to do justice to the
question would require an entire essay but an excellent introduction would
be to have a look at Stanier's General Microbiology.  If you do not have
access to this book in a library then drop me a line and we'll see if I
can fax you some stuff.

Happy hunting.

Martin Cann, Ph.D.
Cornell University Medical College