Discovery of Ebola virus?

Michael Coldewey coldewey at ix.netcom.com
Tue Oct 17 07:22:43 EST 1995

In <45uv9o$h4c at paperboy.ids.net> macjack at ids.net writes:

>Hello biology oriented people!
>
>I am in desperate need of some info on the discovery of the infamous
>Ebola virus. Lots of stuff around on it now, but I haven't been able
>to find much on where or when it was actually discovered.
>
>If anyone could point me to some good info, especially some avaliable
>on the net, I would appreciate it infintely much!
>
>Thanks in advance!
>--
>Louis Deaett
><macjack at ids.net>
    If you are just looking for popular info, try reading one of the
"HotZone" type books, out in the last year. Ebola is considered a
relative of Marberg and only has a recent history that I'm aware of. I
read about it's origin in Africa (around the river for  which it's
named) along the "AIDS highway"; that area seems to be good for
spawning deadly lifeforms - perhaps they are all mutations of the same,
benign,less deadly viral source........