Detergent contamination?

Steven Enkemann enkemans at dc37a.nci.nih.gov
Sun Oct 15 12:32:11 EST 1995

In article <1995Oct12.032924.13312 at marlin.jcu.edu.au>, Nick Moody
<nicholas.moody at jcu.edu.au> wrote:

> I degraded Bohle Iridovirus with NP40 and DMSO and spun the suspension
> through a 10% sucrose cushion, collecting the supernatant and resultant
> pellet.The pellet was reusupended in TNE buffer.I was wondering if
> anyone could help me with the following:
>
> - Would the NP40 and DMSO enter the gradient and become mixed with the
> pellet requiring dialysis, or is this step unneccesary?
>
> -I also degraded the virus with octylglucoside (OTC) and spun the
> suspension through a 10% sucrose cushion containing OTC. Again, would the
> pellet become mixed with the OTC requiring dialysis, or is this dialysis
> also unneccesary?
>
> I only have a small amount of each sample and do not want to waste any.
>
> Thanks
> --
You have no problem with the NP40 and probably not with the OTC but I
can't vouch for the DMSO.  I think you can best address that by
considering how thick was the cushion and how long was the
centrifugation.  The most important consideration was how clean was you
extraction of the samples following centrifugation.

Steven A. Enkemann PhD.

I don't believe that curiosity killed the cat.
I think it just did the wrong experiment.