(no subject)

Steven Enkemann enkemans at dc37a.nci.nih.gov
Sun Oct 15 12:22:06 EST 1995

In article <45h2lr$et2 at solaris.cc.vt.edu>, Bill Zabaronick <zab at vt.edu> wrote:

> I am interested in trying to purify released virions from the liquid
> media that surrounds my cells growing in a monolayer.  Is there a
> good(effective) HPLC method? If so could I get it? If not, are there any
> suggestions?

Most viruses are purified from culture medium by centrifugation.  There is
usually a brief centrifugation of the supernatant fluid to remove cellular
debris followed by a gradient centrifugation through glycerol or sucrose.
Unless your talking about a very small amount of virus I don't see where
HPLC would save time or effort.  If you know the identity of your virus
just check the literature.  The M & M section of almost any paper should
have a virus purification scheme.

Steven A. Enkemann PhD.

I don't believe that curiosity killed the cat.
I think it just did the wrong experiment.