Detergent contamination?

Nick Moody nicholas.moody at jcu.edu.au
Wed Oct 11 22:29:24 EST 1995

I degraded Bohle Iridovirus with NP40 and DMSO and spun the suspension
through a 10% sucrose cushion, collecting the supernatant and resultant
pellet.The pellet was reusupended in TNE buffer.I was wondering if
anyone could help me with the following:

- Would the NP40 and DMSO enter the gradient and become mixed with the
pellet requiring dialysis, or is this step unneccesary?

-I also degraded the virus with octylglucoside (OTC) and spun the
suspension through a 10% sucrose cushion containing OTC. Again, would the
pellet become mixed with the OTC requiring dialysis, or is this dialysis
also unneccesary?

I only have a small amount of each sample and do not want to waste any.

Thanks
--

Nick Moody
Department of Biomedical and Tropical Veterinary Sciences

Tel: +61 077 814 631
Fax: +61 077 796 371