Needed - Just one precedent

Zhongguo Xiong zxiong at ag.arizona.edu
Tue Oct 3 11:59:18 EST 1995

In article <44jpuc$ak4_001 at net7a.io.org> howzit at io.org (Ursula Keuper-Bennett) writes:
>  I want to know if there has been even ONE case of a viral disease that
>was transmitted by a vector by feeding off the tumours/lesions/open
>sores of an infected animal and then moving on to a healthy animal and
>perhaps through biting/probing (breaking skin) "injecting" the disease
>to another.

If you are not exclusively looking for animal viruses, there are plenty if
examples of plant viruses begin transmitted mechanically by chewing
and sucking insects. Most viruses do not replicate in the vectors. Vectors
appear to be more or less a mechanical carrier.

Mechanical transmisssion is so dominant in plant viruses that most of the
plant viruses are mechnically transmitted this way in the laboratories simply
by rubbing saps from infected tissues to healthy tissues.

Zhongguo Xiong, Ph.D      http://ag.arizona.edu/~zxiong
Dept of Plant Pathology   zxiong at ag.arizona.edu
Forbes 204                Xiong at Biosci.Arizona.EDU
University of Arizona     Phone: (520)-621-9869
Tucson, AZ                Fax: (520)-621-9290