Needed - Just one precedent

Ursula Keuper-Bennett howzit at io.org
Sun Oct 1 19:04:28 EST 1995

Hello,

You write:

>I don't know where I got this idea or whether it is right, but I
>think myxomatosis virus is spread from one rabbit to another by
>fleas, mosquitos etc. feeding on the lesions, which contain
>hight titers of virus, then going and feeding on an uninfected
>animal.  It was my understanding that the virus does not
>replicate in the arthropod vector, but is carried mechanically.
>

>Is this the kind of thing you are looking for?

 hmmmm "mechanical" huh?  "Mechanical vector".  Perfect, I LIKE it.
Yes, I am looking for just ONE confirmed and documented mechanical
vector.  I will now surf the Net for "myxomatosis".  Who knows?  There
may be a homepage devoted to rabbits, and I am sure there are pet.vet
kind of home pages.

 Yes, Walter, this would be a PERFECT example.  I will now do some
homework, thanks!

>Do you know what causes the lesions on the turtles?

 No one knows for sure.  However, I have been kicking a hunch around for
about two/three weeks and before I cough up the hunch, I need one other
precedent and you might have just given it to me.

 Thanks!  By the way, if you are interested in reading and seeing photos
of the tumours, and you have a webbrowser, just visit our homepage
called Turtle Trax.  The http info is at the bottom in my signature.

 You helped me a HEAP!

 (I wrote the above in email to you but I need to add this.  I have
surfed the Net for myxomatosis and got only 5 references to it -
something about the tick being Spanish but that's all.

 What is CRITICAL is the tick must not carry the virus inside like a
mosquito does but on its little feet or on its hairy little legs.  What
I am hoping for is to find a disease that maybe a house fly carries.

 Remember all those stories about not knowing where a house fly was
before it landed on your food?  Well I would like a landing/flitting
kind of vector who carries disease on feet or dentition or something.

 I will now post a message about myxomatosis.  The other thing I know
about the disease it is did in 90% of the Australian rabbit population
through its introduction to the continent.  So the disease MUST have
plenty of documentation.

 Thanks again.

                      ^                  Ursula Keuper-Bennett
                     0 0                 Mississauga, Ontario
            /V^\     I I    /^V\         Email: howzit at io.org
          /V     Turtle Trax    V\
        /V      Forever Green     V\     http://www.io.org/~bunrab