hanta virus

Jack M. Bernstein, M.D. Bernstein at WSU-ID.Dayton.OH.US
Thu Mar 30 22:51:51 EST 1995

In article <3l99h1$bis at usenet.srv.cis.pitt.edu> Sally Neiser <swn+ at pitt.edu> writes:
>From: Sally Neiser <swn+ at pitt.edu>
>Subject: hanta virus
>Date: 28 Mar 1995 15:21:05 GMT

>I'm new to this group, and have a question on the hanta (sp?)
>virus that was spread by deermice in Arizona a year or so ago.
>I'm going to a Hopi Indian reservation near Houck, AZ, and
>wondered if there would be any danger to young children if
>they went along. Any advice would be much appreciated. TIA.

It is unlikely that a "tourist" would catch this virus. The "outbreak" was
associated with an explosive increase in the deer mouse population associated
with a more rainy than usual season. These mice came indoors and the virus was
transmitted, presumably, by inhaling the virus which was excreted in the mouse
urine and then contaminated the dirt in the dwellings in question.

Note that the majority of cases in the Sin Nombre / Four Corners outbreak were
seen in scattered dwellings on the reservation.