Anti-Serum to Virus?

grenard at herpmed.com grenard at herpmed.com
Sun Mar 26 18:32:32 EST 1995

William Krug) writes:
> >grenard at herpmed.com wrote:
> >
> >: I believe that antibodies can be harvested from the sera of infected
> >: individuals, concentrated and then administered to victims to fight
> >
> >Wouldn't the antibodies be anti-idiotypic? For example, If the monkey's
> >ab to the virus were injected into a human, wouldn't the human's immune
> >system mount a response against these foriegn ab's? Are humans that close
> >to any monkey to be able to accept the ab?
>
> 	Yes and no.  Following the injection, there will be an
> anti-antiserum response.  That is slow enough that the original antiserum
> injected in can perform its work - remember that the human will be
> raising a primary response.  The response will predominately not be
> anti-idiotype, though; the bulk of the response will be directed against
> those components of the constant region that differ between species.
> 	Mouse monoclonals are used in some human therapeutic work - at
> least exerimentally - and I believe that traditional anti-tetanus
> antiserum was raised in horses - perhaps the same is true for rabies as
> well, though I'm not sure about that.  To emphasize what is probably
> obvious, you don't want to get two exposures to this sort of thing - you
> have a reasonable chance of undergoing anaphylactic shock on the second
> massive exposure to the foreign antiserum.
> 	There are some differences in the secondary effects of the
> foreign antibodies, which others can probably handle better than I - I
> think that mouse antibodies don't do much for the human complement
> system, for example.
>
> Ian
>

> --
> Ian York   (york at mbcrr.harvard.edu)
> Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, 44 Binney St., Boston MA 02115
> Phone (617)-632-3921     Fax  (617)-632-2627

There are antiserums raised from animals against tetanus and snakebite
that are farther removed from humans than primates: horses, goats,
sheep to name a few.  It is my understanding that such antibody preparations
can be purified by running the material through an affinity column.
Recently a company in Wisconsin has sucessfully made anti-sera against
snake venoms from chicken eggs by injecting the hens  with non-lethal
doses of snake venom and recovering the antibodies from the eggs.

The real unbelievable part of the film Outbreak, which started this
conversation, was Dustin's Hoffman's (aka Dr Daniels) luck in finding a
single escaped cotton-topped marmoset  running around the woods of
Northern California. Of course it helped that he had a virologist
with him that knew how to fly a chopper and could outfly the army's most
experienced fighter pilots who were trying to bring them down. Top that
off with getting sucessfully back to a mobile field lab in the middle
of the town where the epidemic was occuring and manufacturing in a few hours
enough serum to cure the entire town!  Boy thats what I call unbelievable.
Makes you proud don't it?