Anti-Serum to Virus?

Peter William Krug pkrug at moe.cc.emory.edu
Sat Mar 25 17:20:32 EST 1995

grenard at herpmed.com wrote:

: I believe that antibodies can be harvested from the sera of infected
: individuals, concentrated and then administered to victims to fight
: their infection. The source/host  must be a survivor/carrier of the
: virus (hence the search for the original host) which would have a high titer
: antibodies to the agent in its blood.  As an aside I think

Wouldn't the antibodies be anti-idiotypic? For example, If the monkey's
ab to the virus were injected into a human, wouldn't the human's immune
system mount a response against these foriegn ab's? Are humans that close
to any monkey to be able to accept the ab?

Just trying to be difficult,

Peter
pkrug at emory.edu