cane toad virus

Denni Schnapp ds4 at st-andrews.ac.uk
Fri Mar 24 10:50:20 EST 1995

Dear viro-netters,

There has recently been a thread (now apparently stopped) about the Austra-
lian government releasing viruses to fight cane toads. Very little info, other
than a vague confirmation from a relevant gov. authority, was apparently
obtained. Does anybody have a clue what kind of virus this might be and how
host-specific it is (or supposed to be) and what time since release?
All I know is that there are news about an iridoviruis outbreak killing off
native species of amphibians in Australia plus some worry that this thing
can also be transmitted by fish. Tom Daylell (sorry if misspellt, he is the
MP who writes a column in New Scientist every week) writes that very strict restrictions are in force on aquarium fish imported into the UK from Australia.
Nevertheless, there has apparently been a serious viral outbreak among British
frogs about two years ago (I know very little more than what was in a local
London newspaper and some private sources).The likelihood that this has anything to do with the Australian iridovirus is probably minute. I just wonder....

Thanks,

Denni (ds4 at st-and.ac.uk)