Carnivores and cold virus

Ian A. York york at mbcrr.dfci.harvard.edu
Wed Mar 22 12:16:22 EST 1995

In article <xE-ZmTw.ksturts at delphi.com> Keith Sturts <ksturts at delphi.com> writes:
>I'm not a virologist but am interested in the reason why some families of
>mammals are not susceptible to some viruses, such as the common cold virus
>in humans.  It is hard to find this information and I thought some one here
>would know.

	Depending on what you're trying to ask, your hypothesis is likely
wrong.  There are species specific receptors, cell factors, etc that
prevent particular viruses from entering or efficiently infecting cells
from another species.  But there are very few examples of species which
do not get infected by a particular *family* of viruses.  I.e. dogs get
adenoviruses, and I think rhinoviruses as well.

Ian
--
Ian York   (york at mbcrr.harvard.edu)
Phone (617)-632-3921     Fax  (617)-632-2627