1918 influenza evolution

Anjeanette Roberts robertsa at cbil.humgen.upenn.edu
Wed Mar 22 14:40:27 EST 1995

> Influenza, having an RNA genome, ...
> The fact that its genome is segmented only increases
> its mutability - making recombination highly likely.
> Patrick

Technically, the fact that the influenza genome is segmented makes
reassortant viruses highly likely.  Reassortment is a shuffling of
the genomic segments.  Recombination is no more likely in flu than
in other single-stranded RNA viruses.  Just thought I'd clarify that
since I work on another segmented RNA virus (La Crosse, Bunyaviridae).
AJ