Outbreak (the movie)

Jeremy L. Milum cmmilum at cotton.vislab.olemiss.edu
Wed Mar 22 02:36:39 EST 1995

T Bannor (tbannor at aol.com) wrote:
: I saw "Outbreak" over the weekend and I have the same criticisms listed
: previously. One question though: What was the thing in the micrographs
: showing the virus? I am a former researcher for Upjohn, but not a
: virologist. However, that thing didn't look like any virus I've seen
: pictures of. It looked like a light micrograph of a germinating fungal
: spore or something similar. If it really was a virus, does anyone know
: what it was?

It was a picture of a filovirus.  Similiar pictures are in the
book _Hot Zone_ by Richard Preston.  They are characterizied
by their thread like appearance

*  Jeremy Milum 		Internet Address:		    *
*  University of Mississippi     cmmilum at cotton.vislab.olemiss.edu  *
*  Departments of Biology       				    *
*  & Chemical Engineering       Offices:     			    *
*  Undergraduate Assisstant      419 Shoemaker & 221 Anderson       *