HIV-1 vs HIV-2

Ian A. York york at mbcrr.dfci.harvard.edu
Tue Mar 21 17:44:37 EST 1995

In article <3kk1i6$439t at pegasus.unm.edu> bhjelle at unm.edu writes:

>Again, I don't understand the firm connection in your mind between
>transmissability and virulence. These concepts should be dissociated.

	I may have missed this somewhere; there is one very obvious
example of a very successful virus with very high virulence and high
transmissibility - rabies.  It's as near as dammit to 100% lethal, it
moves pretty fast once it hits the brain (i.e. relatively short window of
transmissibility) and yet is perfectly capable of large scale epidemics,
which indicate how transmissible it can be.  Maybe this is a special
case, but clearly there is no intrinsic correlation.

Ian
--
Ian York   (york at mbcrr.harvard.edu)
Phone (617)-632-3921     Fax  (617)-632-2627