Carnivores and cold virus

Keith Sturts ksturts at delphi.com
Wed Mar 22 03:55:12 EST 1995

I'm not a virologist but am interested in the reason why some families of
mammals are not susceptible to some viruses, such as the common cold virus
in humans.  It is hard to find this information and I thought some one here
would know.

What is the physiological, metabolic, or other mechanism operating that
prohibits the common cold virus from effecting dogs, for instance.

In those viruses that do or do not attack families of mammals, are the
cellular considerations, differentials, etc., always the same?  (I realize
that I am hardly using the proper terminology as a layman, but I hope
most know what I mean.

Thanks for your patience and any help you can give me on this subject.

Keith Sturts