HIV-1 vs HIV-2 (fwd)

Naomi Gayle Housman nhousma at EMORY.EDU
Tue Mar 21 00:49:32 EST 1995

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 1995 00:14:05 -0500 (EST)
From: Naomi Gayle Housman <nhousma at emory.edu>
To: Patrick O'Neil <patrick at corona>
Subject: Re: HIV-1 vs HIV-2

Dear Patrick

I am intersted in your thoughts as well, and find them provocative.  I am
currently doing a PhD thesis in molecular virology, and do most of my
work at C.D.C. in Atlanta.  I had the great fortune of meeting Dr. Ewald
when he came and spoke about those very same issue of origins of HIV and
mutational frequencies (this was before his book was out).  I found his
arguements to be sound and his reasoning logical.  I have recently
started his book which I find to be lucid as well.

My research is focused around analysis of HIV-1 quasispecies in vivo by
sequencing pol-RT, env v3-v5, and nef sequences.  I would be interested
in your thoughts regarding the 'proper' analysis of such data which will
be generated from viral RNA as well as proviral DNA source material.  We
are engaged in a longitudinal study of 400 patients or more who are being
treated with AZT, so we will be receiving samples serially.

Anyway I hope to hear from you soon.....

Chad Womack (Naomi is my wife)
National Centers for Infectious Diseases
Division of HIV/AIDS, Immunology Br
Atlanta, GA