(none)

Bruce Phillips bap at MED.PITT.EDU
Mon Mar 20 12:41:45 EST 1995

	Appropo of Karl Fischer's recent remarks regarding the film, OUTBREAK,
I too saw it accompanied by intelligent, non-scientific friends, one of whom
thought the most unbelievable parts were the lab worker who reached into the
moving centrifuge with expected results and consequences, and the helicopter
scenes (which were exciting).  The point is- all the rest, including the ability
to "synthesize" within hours huge quantities of antisera and, just as dis-
quieting, the immediate curative powers of it on dying patients, was believed.
While the movie is entertaining and slickly done, it's "raison e'etre,
it is devastatingly inaccurate in portraying the science parts amidst an
ALMOST documentary atmosphere.  I think many people will see this movie and
fail to understand why HIV and other diseases can't be dealt with in a similar
fashion.
	I wouod hope, but don't expect, other sources of programming, like
NPR, public TV, and (even less likely) the so-called documentaries on commercial
TV to rectify some of these misconceptions promulgated by this movie.