the dancing matrix

Walter Ogston ogston at HOBBES.KZOO.EDU
Mon Mar 20 15:17:29 EST 1995

marcl at titan.oit.umass.edu (Marc Langston) writes:

> there have got to be better books out there suitable for lay readers.
> walter, could you please recommend a few?
>
> marc

My favorite introduction books to virology are:

White, D.O. and Fenner, F. "Medical Virology" (Academic Press)

and

Dimmock, N.J. and Primrose, S.B. "Introduction to Modern
Virology" (Blackwell Scientific Publications)

These are not what one would normally call "popular" books, but
they are pitched at a level where anyone with good high school
biology background can get the main story, and may be
stimulated to go and look up the things they don't understand.
Both have recently come out in new editions.  You may have to
pester your local public library to get these for you, but if
they buy them they will be doing their readers a big favor.  One
thing I specially like about both is that they treat viruses as
part of life, not as a pestilence that must be destroyed.

If any of you who have been reading "The Hot Zone" and "Coming
Plagues" look at these, I would be very interested to know how
you find them.
Walter Ogston				ogston at hobbes.kzoo.edu
Department of Biology			Phone: (616)337-7010
Kalamazoo College			Fax:   (616)337-7251
Kalamazoo, MI 49006-3295