Hot Zone Question

Always Learning 3ni9boscoj at vms.csd.mu.edu
Mon Mar 20 00:25:59 EST 1995

In article <Pine.3.89.9503191213.A12382-0100000 at coop.crn.org>, mowjmat at COOP.CRN.ORG (Biology Department) writes:

>In article <deirdre at deeny.MV.COM> _Deirdre writes:
>What fascinates me is the thesis that this may be a disease naturally
>hosted in big game (e.g. leopards or elephants) and that, because numbers
>of the natural host are dwindling, it's jumping species to something more
>available.
....snip....
> It seems to me that a  larger
>population of viral carriers would yield a larger population of viruses,
>thus the chance for favorable-random mutations is increased when the host
>population is increased.  The latter analysis is contrary to the statement
>above--i was just wondering how decrease in host population could
>enhance host transfer.
>
>Jeff Huckaby
>Molecular Biology
>William Jewell College
>Liberty, MO 64068
>USA
>eMail mowjmat at coop.crn.org

Hi Jeff,

Would I be able to convice you with an argument of Adapt or Die!
In the survival of the fittest, those strains that have been able to adapt to a
new host will start in small numbers. Very small numbers in fact.  But when
they others die out, b/c of lack of hosts. Only the newer strains will be
around to cause trouble.

I am aware that this is WAY oversimplified. ergo. no flames please. Intellegent
comments always welcome.

Jim=Always Learning