Virus evolution

Ian A. York york at mbcrr.dfci.harvard.edu
Sat Mar 18 09:58:18 EST 1995

In article <kfischer-1703952314500001 at duckter.glaxo.med.ualberta.ca> kfischer at gpu.srv.ualberta.ca (Karl Fischer) writes:

>Streamlined???? Try telling that to someone studying herpesviruses or
>vaccinia to name just two ;-)

Sorry to pick on one sentence, but yes, even vaccinia and herpesviruses
are incredibly streamlined.  What's a mere 76 proteins (herpes simplex
virus) or, what, 250 or so in vaccinia, compared to hundreds of thousands
in humans, or (I don't know much about bacteria) thousands in bacteria.
	One of the reasons viruses have been so popular as model systems
is that they are streamlined.  The biggest viruses I know of are only
300,000 - 400,000 bp long.

Ian
--
Ian York   (york at mbcrr.harvard.edu)
Phone (617)-632-4328     Fax  (617)-632-2627