EBOLA-Musoke ques. (Hot Zone)

steve tichy tichysr at ix.netcom.com
Sat Mar 18 15:08:32 EST 1995

     It seemed odd to me that a man (Dr. Musoke) would become infected
from the index case of Ebola Zaire, then undergo an operation and
survived.  During the operation, the surgeons dabbed a "gel foam" all
over his liver in an attempt to stop the bleeding and understandably the
"gel foam" didn't work due to a  nonexistant cell structure (his blood
was like water).  Then after surgery, his condition deteriorated
rapidly.  Then some days later, he miraculously began to recover.
     Even though this "gel foam" the surgeons used on Dr. Musoke
appeared to have done nothing initially; I had wondered if their dabbing
it all over his liver hadn't caused the virus to attempt to mutate
itself with this foreign substance (the "gel foam"--even though it
wasn't designed OR intended to be used as an anti-viral agent)
thinking (if you can call it thinking) it was a new host form?  Do you
think in an odd sort-of-way, it was possible, the "gel foam" saved the
doctor's life?

Veneta Tichy