HCV- types and subtypes?

Wolfgang Tuma w.tuma at gonca.ping.de
Thu Mar 16 04:23:00 EST 1995

Dear All,

could anyone please answer  a few questions, dealing with hepatitis c
virus types and subtypes and their clinical relevance. I know only reports
describing the prevalence of HCV- types/subtyes in different countries or
single case presentations.

My questions are

1)      Are there hard facts that HCV- types and subtypes show different
severeness of syptomes and speed of progression of the illness?

2)      Do different types/subtypes cause more or less infections with no
or mild syptoms?

3)      Are there hard facts that some types causes more chronic
infections than others?

4)      Are there differences with respect to the development of cirrhosis
and hepatocellular carcinoma?

5)      Are different HCV-types more or less sensitive  to interferon
treatment?

6.)     Do we find different virus concentrations in the peripheral blood
during the serological "window phase"?

Additionally a few technical questions:

7)      Which isolates/ sequences are used as prototypes for the different
subtypes?

8)     Is there a general consensus which method to use for the typing or
subtyping? Which genomic region should be analysed?

9)      What is the best approach? Is sequencing or hybridization the
method of choice or should a restriction enzyme analyses of the amplicons
be done?

Thanks in advance
Wolfgang

Wolfgang Tuma