HIV-1 vs HIV-2

Patrick O'Neil patrick at corona
Wed Mar 15 22:40:40 EST 1995

On 16 Mar 1995, Gary Ross wrote:

> Thanks Patrick. That was a good overview. Is HIV your field of
> research?  How long have the strains been differentiated?
>
> - Gary Ross

Hello.  HIV is only indirectly my research.  I work with recombination
and mutation frequency.  Though my own work presently revolves around
bacterial MutS and mismatch repair, the lab I am in also studies reverse
transcriptase, especially its error rate as it relates to HIV mutation
rates as a whole.

As you can see, if you saw the message to me from Rybicki, there is some
dispute over the origins of HIV.  Beyond the work of the lab I am
attached to, I also have an interest in general in viruses.  Most of my
evolutionary information derives from several sources, but in particular,
Paul W. Ewald's book, _Evolution of Infectious Disease_.  An excellent
book that addresses epidemics from an evolutionary perspective and
discusses means of understanding, and perhaps preventing, many epidemics
based on selective pressures.  Ewald sites many supporting works for his
propositions and theories.

Patrick