"Outbreak"/_Hot Zone_,etc.

Biology Department mowjmat at COOP.CRN.ORG
Wed Mar 15 10:21:40 EST 1995

Bio-net members
	Kathryn's message about the movie "Outbreak" and the book "Hot
Zone" identifies an important role of popular media in sceitific
education.  I am speaking from ignorace since I have not yet seen
Outbreak nor habve I read completely "the Hot ZOne"--I, fortuanetly, was
able to catch a National Public Radio Interview with Preston (the author
of the book).
	Kathryn's is correct in maintaining that popular media items are
important to scientific education, especially for lay persons with little
or no background in science.  As usual for Hollywood--the movie probably
misrepresents the nature of science-but nevertheless, any public exposure
to gene cloning, viruses, etc is benefical.
	Now to a criticism of Kathryn's comment--Kathryn is an ex-bio
major and is a current senior undergrad.  THis status is quite different
from the genral public.  People or her parents generation and the
generation before do not have an extesnive general science education
either formally or thorugh the media.  In the past few years, sicence
fiction has turned to the more realistic ascpects of science--Michael
Crichton for example has written on a number of subjects that have
scientific ideas other than that of martians or Godzilla.
	The roel of the scientists is too clarify misconceptions and
clearly epress scientific work in lay terms.  There is acondierable
resistance agianst this idea, espeically in moelcular sciences where
terminology is highly tedious.  However, all scientists are examining
what is fuandamentally a very simple problem--By appealing to more
fundamental goals, scientists can explain their hihgly technical world to
the uninitiated.

Jeff Huckaby
Molecular Biology
William Jewell College