Outbreak (the movie) (fwd)

Patrick O'Neil patrick at corona
Tue Mar 14 12:43:23 EST 1995

On 14 Mar 1995, Naomi Gayle Housman wrote:
> demographics in this country.  Again maybe this movie will cause some to
> think about their health more often and consider the impact of a
> communicable virus such as Ebola or HIV.  Again at least this is my hope.
>
> HIV is not the last retrovirus of epidemiological significance that we
> will have to face in the future.  This is a test, how we respond to this
> test will dictate our future responses to emerging biomedical challenges.
> I wish us luck....

I too would hope that HIV has served to wake us up.  We have been getting
a number of buzzers going off to jar us awake:  HIV, Hantavirus,
multidrug-resistant bacteria of all kinds.  It seems that while we were
sitting back, enjoying our "victory" over infectious agents, they were
just going about garnering their forces, and then POW, hit us all at
once.  More than a waking buzzer, I hope it turns out that all this is
ice-cold water being poured on our sleeping faces.

Patrick