outbreak,hot zone, etc

parkerbr at cc.uvsc.edu parkerbr at cc.uvsc.edu
Tue Mar 14 15:29:17 EST 1995

I think some people are missing the point of complaining about such things as
the movie "Outbreak" and the book "The Hot Zone".  I complained about the
inaccuracies in the book because I teach undergraduates that are in the phase
where they tend to believe everything they read or see in the movies. The
average citizen is perhaps worse. When someone reads "The Hot Zone" and sees
the "Outbreak" movie, they tend to get a very distorted picture of the science
of working with viruses. We have already seen too much of this with people
marching on Washington because they believe we should have cured AIDS by now
and it is the fault of the government/gay-bashers that we have not. I brought
the errors in the book to this net to try to encourage scientists to "fight
back" against this kind of ignorance. It is too hard for non-scientists to
distinguish between what science can and cannot do. Since those involved in
this post are at least interested in viruses, if not working with them, IMHO,
WE should be pointing out the ridiculous way that science is portrayed.

END of RANTING