Outbreak (the movie)

Naomi Gayle Housman nhousma at EMORY.EDU
Tue Mar 14 03:25:31 EST 1995

Hello:

I too have just seen the movie Outbreak and approached from different
perspectives.  As a scientist, I found the movie to be unfortunately
unrealistic with the given time frames in which the airborne variant
developed.  So I would agree with the earlier point made by Patrick.
However, we are talking about hollywood and as usual what hollywood makes
does not often conform the confines of this reality.  Currently I am
studying HIV-1 and its ability to mutate/evolve in vivo by sequencing
virus from patient samples.  I mention that to indicate the potential
importance of communicating the message that this virus' ability to
change is tremendous and I don't think that most people outside of the
lab have an appreciation for this.  The question of "Why don't we have a
vaccine to HIV yet?" rings often in casual conversation in which I am
usually the designated hitter for Science, the lone spokesperson.  I
respond usually by saying that we don't understand the correlates of
protection and therefore have difficulty identifying the magical epitopes
critical for viral neutralization in vivo.  But here's the point
regarding the potential value of the movie (emphasis on the potential
part).  Perhaps by watching the movie people can get an appreciation for
how science is done, although not as dramatically and in such short
notice.  At least this is my hope.

abound concerning the origin of HIV, I would have to offer a note of
caution with the tone of the criticism.  As an African-American and a
scientist, I would have to emphasize the deep and sincere mistrust that
many A-A's have towards the medical research community, particularly in
light of highly publisized historical events such as the Tuskegee
Experiments etc.  In addition, I would have to agree with the criticisms
that have been offered concerning the lack of communication that is so
very vital between science/research community and the 'lay'-community.
Most people do not understand what HIV is, what AIDS is, and how the two
relate.  I would fault our less than appropriate educational system
(public and private) for most of the public ignorance regarding the
aforementioned two.  Yes, true enough, anyone can go to their respective
public libraries and read journals and text books, but have they been
given the tools by which understanding is achieved?  Our notion of public
health lacks vision and common sense.  It is clear to me that we will not
have any effective vaccine for HIV-1 or -2 for quite some time.  In the
mean time, more and more people are becoming infected mostly women of
color.  In fact, according to the latest statistics that I heard at the
Wash., D.C. meeting last month, 2/3 of the AIDS incidence in women is
within minority female populations.  That is astounding considering the
demographics in this country.  Again maybe this movie will cause some to
think about their health more often and consider the impact of a
communicable virus such as Ebola or HIV.  Again at least this is my hope.

HIV is not the last retrovirus of epidemiological significance that we
will have to face in the future.  This is a test, how we respond to this
test will dictate our future responses to emerging biomedical challenges.
I wish us luck....

Chad Womack
Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (I'll believe it when I see it)
National Centers for Infectious Diseases
Div. HIV/AIDS, Immunology Br
Atlant, GA