ebola and recombination

Jeremy Erwin jerwin at college.antioch.edu
Thu Mar 9 22:12:09 EST 1995

I have a short question about the ebola genome and recombinate RNA. I was
reading a short article in FEBS letters:

Victor Volchkov, Vladimir Blinov and Sergey Netesov. 1993 "The envelope
glycoprotein of Ebola virus contains an immunosuppressive-like domain
similar to oncogenic retroviruses." _FEBS Letters_ 305 (3):181-184.

and I came across the authors' hypothesis that similarity between
oncoviri and ebola is due to RNA recombination between the two viruses.
Perhaps I'm reading this wrong, but I was wondering how this theory has
held up in light of more recent evidence.
	Jeremy Erwin

--
Cogito Ergo Sum                  | V=58log [external]/[internal]
-Descartes, mid 16th century     | modern neuroscience, late 20th century

    Jeremy Erwin, Antioch College, <jerwin at college.antioch.edu>