Sinbis Virus

Patrick O'Neil patrick at corona
Thu Mar 9 00:22:55 EST 1995

On Wed, 8 Mar 1995, Erin Crouch wrote:

> On another note,  can anyone give me some background information about
> Sinbis(?) virus in chickens?  If I am wrong on spelling please excuse me.  I
> work in a virology lab as an undergraduate level.  As I said above I intend to
> stay there.  My possible PhD work could be with Sinbis.  I am eager to start
> my own background research on this virus.  Any help would be appreciated about
> either topic.  Thank you.

Sinbis is an alphavirus with an RNA genome.  Its natural hosts are
mosquitos and birds.  In humans it can cause rash and arthritis.
Transmission to humans is via the mosquito.

The virus has a wide geographical distribution in Europe, Africa, Asia,
and Australia and is closely related to Western equine encephalitis
virus.  Most strains of Sinbis do not affect humans.

Patrick