ebola

RYBICKI, ED ED at molbiol.uct.ac.za
Wed Mar 8 03:17:35 EST 1995

> from couple of my professors, the answers they gave me varied.
Although
> both told me that the Ebola viruses are mainly transmitted by
aerosol
> (you cannot argue about this), one told me Ebola COULD be a STD;
   ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
I beg your pardon?  Why not?  Especially in view of the VERY well
-made Canadian documentary I saw last night on Ebola/Marburg which
stated quite firmly (and several times) that Marburg and Ebola-Zaire
were NOT transmitted by aerosols, whereas Ebola-Reston WAS.  Meaning
SOME of the filoviruses are aerosol transmitted, by no means all.

 | Ed Rybicki, PhD          |  (ed at molbiol.uct.ac.za)  |
 | Dept Microbiology        | University of Cape Town  |
 | Private Bag, Rondebosch  |   7700, South Africa     |
 | fax: xx27-21-650 4023    |  tel: xx27-21-650 3265   |
 |       URL: http://www.uct.ac.za/microbiology        |