virus purification needed

Patrick O'Neil patrick at corona
Mon Mar 6 00:09:51 EST 1995

On 27 Feb 1995, WAS wrote:

> I have been assigned a task to isolate the DNA from a circovrus.  I have
> tried a few protocols  but nothing has seemed to work.  I would like some
> information on DNA isolation techniques for ssDNA and possibly dsDNA from
> virus.

I don't know that virus but perhaps you could try RDA to pick out viral
DNA from avian genomic?

I direct you to _Cloning the Differences Between Two Complex Genomes_,
Nikolai Lisitsyn, Natalya Lisitsyn, Michael Wigler, Science vol
259:946-951 (1993).  They discuss the technique, Representational
Difference Analysis, in which viral genomes can quickly be picked out of
an entire, complex genome (as well as genetic rearrangements, deletions,
etc).  It may serve to quickly pick out the virus you seek, even if you
have absolutely no sequence information about it.

Patrick