ancient viruses

Patrick O'Neil patrick at corona
Fri Mar 3 21:12:18 EST 1995

On Thu, 2 Mar 1995 s14840mz at umassd.edu wrote:

> I'd like to know the reference for the ancient virus endogenous to both
> chimpanzees and humans (also, found on the same chromosome).
>

> Thanks in Advance,
> Miguel

Ok, I have the reference.  I can say that I erred in my post stating that
it was from _The Molecular Biology of the Gene_.  It actually resides in
_Virology_, Second Edition, edited by B.N. Fields, chapter 51, pg 1486.
The passage reads,"If individuals who lack active proviruses (humans or
quail, for example) are tested for more distantly related sequences by
nucleic acid hybridization techniques, it is usually easy to find many
such elements."  Later in the same paragraph, "Often, the two LTRs have
diverged somewhat in sequence; this is a sure sign of long residence in
the germline, as is the presence of the same elements in the same
location in human and chimpanzees."  And, "These elements are clearly
defective proviruses, not some other sort of element."

The reference sited by the author for the human/chimpanzee item:

Steele PE, Martin MA, Rabson AB, Bryan T, O'Brian SJ.  Amplification and
chromosomal dispersion of human endogenous retroviral sequences.  Journ.
Virol. (1986), 59:545-550.

Patrick