Herpes simplex 1

Patrick O'Neil patrick at corona
Thu Mar 2 23:26:12 EST 1995

On 2 Mar 1995, Brad Edwards wrote:

> Is there any references or does anyone know about any corelation between
> herpes eruptions and peptic ulcers. Any information on "triggers" for
> herpes eruptions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

The trigger generally mentioned by doctors and texts is stress of various
types, though the mechanism isn't really known (and it isn't clear just
what aspect of stress is a potential trigger).  I have read or been told
that sexual activity, sunburn, general fatigue/stress, illness, are all
potential triggers.  Sexual activity would make logical sense in light of
the mode of transmission (normally) of genital herpes, but it certainly
isn't solid - I have known many people with the virus and they have not
been able to delineate a surefire trigger for their occasional bouts.  To
them, it seems that the virus follows its own schedule entirely with
little connection to any obvious state or phenomenon.

Patrick