meningitis scarier than ebola for now

Daniel B. Watkins at061 at yfn.ysu.edu
Wed Mar 1 06:02:32 EST 1995

While Ebola Zaire, Sudan, Reston and Marburg are certainly worth watching,
there is a meningitis outbreak going on in the U.S. right now. This morning's
paper mentions seven people who have died in Texas over the last few months.
The CDC reported in last week's MMWR about a new, deadly strain in Oregon.
There have been at least two recent deaths in Seattle, Washington,
I have read about an outbreak in the Great Lakes states earlier this year,
and I know that there has been at least one recent death in Georgia. While
supposedly hard to contract, this pathogen may have changed.

Seems like to me that there is something potentially dangerous going on
here.

Comments?

watkinsl at freenet.fsu.edu