HELP: fd/M13 phage titer

Cheng Luo luo at cc.Helsinki.FI
Sun Jul 30 12:59:19 EST 1995

BobS123 (bobs123 at aol.com) wrote:
: I would appreciate any references or information regarding the
: quantitative determination of either fd or M13 phages.  My understanding
: is that these filamentous phages are non lytic to their E. coli host.  If
: true than the standard plaque assay would be an ineffective method to
: determine titer.  Any suggestions are most welcome.

Yes,  fd or M13 fibrillous phages do not lysis the host E.coli,
however, once these phage infect the hosts, then these hosts grow slower
than other normal E.coli, so they form a kind of turbid plaques.  It is
turbid, but it is very obious to be seen in the plates. So it is no
problem to determine the titer.  Cheng Luo