level 4 containment lab

"kathryn wright ", microbiology kwright at LABSUN1.MED.UOTTAWA.CA
Sat Jul 29 12:56:11 EST 1995

Brian;

	The major reason given on the news for the decision not to open
the lab is public concern regarding the possibility of viruses
escaping--concern which probably wouldn't have arisen if the media
coverage of the Ebola epidemic and the Reston affair had been less
exaggerated.  However, we have had a recent change in provincial
government to a right wing, almost anti-intellectual government, which is
looking for excuses to chop any kind of spending.  As well, our federal
government is building a level 4 facility in Winnipeg, but I have no idea
what the prospective date of opening is for this lab - I expect not
within the next year anyway.

K. Wright